Southern Polytechnic Information Security Association (SPISA)
Friday, November 16, 2007
2007 SPISA Network Security CompetitionThe 2007 SPISA Network Security Competition was held on Saturday, November 10, 2007. The competition focused on the operational aspect of managing and protecting an existing network infrastructure. Student teams were scored based on their ability to detect and respond to outside threats, maintain availability of existing services such as web and database servers, and balance security needs against business needs. The competition involved four main teams: The Academic teams consisted of SPSU students (three students in each team) who attempted to secure a Windows 2003 Active Directory server, a web server, a database server, and a Windows XP client. The Red team was composed of security professionals who tried to attack and exploit the computers of the Academic teams. The White team consisted of judges who kept score during the competition. The Gold team was in charge of facilitating all of the competitors and overseeing the competition. The competition started at 11:00am and ended at 5pm. The top five winning teams were:
- First Place – Team Alpha Squad 7: Brent Page, Michael Galyon, Alex Groden
- Second Place – Team NULL: Daniel Perry, Ted Wood, Benjamin V. Yampolsky
- Third Place – Team Ninjas: Sandra Hofmann, Rob Little, Yamin Wu
- Fourth Place – Team Paladin: Ilyas Takci, Jaime Barrios, Andrew Ward
- Fifth Place – Team Warcraft: Xin Lu, Michael Altfield, Min Xia
Below is a list of photos taken at the competition:
- Information Session 1 before the
- Information Session 2 before the
Team Alpha Squad 7
Part of Red Team
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Metro Atlanta ISSA Career DayOn Wednesday, October 24th, the Metro Atlanta ISSA is holding an annual Career Day event. Three speakers will share their insights about industry trends and different kinds of job opportunities for information security professionals: Marci McCarthy, CEO, Executive Alliance; Jerrod Stoller, Southeast Regional Sale Manager, RSA; and Jim Lepine, Manager Advisory, KPMG.
This will be a great opportunity to network and exchange ideas about career plans. This event takes place from 10 am - 2 pm at the Holiday Inn Conference Center in downtown Decatur. For directions, use the link here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=130%20clairemont%20avenue%20decatur%20georgia%203030. Lunch will be included. Registration for ISSA members is free, and non-members are welcome for a nominal charge of $10.
Friday, August 3, 2007
Information Security Lab and Remote LabSPISA members and prospective members are welcome to use our Information Security Lab located at J-310 in the Atrium Building. The lab has currently the following setting:
- Linux Web/SQL servers
- Solaris based workstations
- Linux SMTP mail server
- Windows 2000 SQL/IIS servers
- Windows XP clients workstations
- CISCO PIX-501 BUN-K9 firewalls
- CISCO 1811-K9 security routers
- KVM 8-port, 24-port switches
SPISA is also helping establish a Remote Lab in the IT Department of SPSU. The idea is to design and implement a remote lab that allows students to participate in the lab exercise by remotely configure the hardware devices physically installed in our lab rooms. This can be done through different approaches: (1) using a physical layer switch; (2) relay cards; and (3) intelligent controllers. This remote lab will help not only distance learning students but also information security students to gain hands-on experience.
Membership shall be limited to Southern Polytechnic State University students interested in Information Security and Assurance. Students enrolled in the spring semester are eligible for summer membership. The following must also be met in order to be a member:
- Full payment of financial obligations as determined by the organization.
- Attend at least 50% of all meetings during a given semester.
- Participate in all activities sponsored by SPISA unless it interferes with prior obligations related to studies, financial burdens, or other pre-planned extracurricular activities.
- Participate in fundraising events.
Southern Polytechnic State University
Information Technology Degrees Department
1100 South Marietta Parkway
Marietta, GA 30060
Department Chair: Dr. Andy Ju An Wang firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Assistant: Ms. Marilee McClure email@example.com